CANADIAN CLIMBING SURVEY
The Canadian Climbing Survey was born of a joint effort among climbing community members to give a voice to issues impacting Canadian climbing due to Covid-19. Survey efforts were led by RockBase Inc. and Coyote Rock Gym. Results were highlighted in Gripped Magazine's recent article. Survey data has been made publicly available on this page.See Article
- Please select the province/ territory you live in:
- Please select the age group to which you belong:
- Please select the gender you self-identify as:
- How many years have you been climbing?
- Please select all roles which apply to your involvement with climbing:
- Please select all the gear you currently own:
- Please select all climbing organizations you are currently a registered member of:
- Please select the option which best reflects your employment situation since the COVID-19 lock down began (March 19th).
- Please select your anticipated total personal income for 2020-2021.
Frequency of Participation
Health & Safety Protocols
- Do you worry about being infected with COVID-19?
- Please select all the options that apply to your hand hygiene routine.
- Do you feel temperature checks at climbing gyms prior to entry are necessary when reopening?
- Would you accept filling out screening questions about your current health before every entry into a climbing gym?
- Do you feel wearing a home-made mask at the climbing gym will protect you from contracting COVID-19?
- Do you feel liquid chalk effectively sanitizes to prevent you contracting COVID-19?
- Would the presence of a medical professional at a climbing gym make you feel safer?
- Have you ever participated in a climbing activity outdoors?
- Please select your most common outdoor climbing arrangement.
- Please select the maximum length of time it takes to drive to a crag that you would consider 'local access'.
- Do you support the 'Leave No Trace' approach to climbing outdoors?
- Do you believe climbing becoming popularized will increase the costs associated with climbing outdoors?
- Do you believe climbing becoming popularized will have a negative impact on the natural environment of outdoor climbing areas (crags)?
- Do you feel that government policies around COVID-19 are likely to cause the permanent closure of climbing gyms in your province?
- Before COVID-19, how much money would you have spent on personal climbing related expense during an average month? (e.g. gear, chalk, memberships)
- Have you bought a product from a climbing gym during the COVID-19 lock down? (e.g. gear, gift cards, memberships)
- Please select all the climbing gym memberships you currently own
- Have you chosen to keep a climbing gym membership active to help support a climbing gym during the COVID-19 lock down?
- Please select your most common climbing gym arrangement.
- If you were to visit a climbing gym once they open to the public, how comfortable would you be with climbing in a group (3 [three] or more people, including you)?
- Would a phased opening make you feel safer returning to a climbing gym?
- Do you feel pre-booking time slots at a climbing gym is a good safety measure?
- What is an appropriate time slot for climbing gyms to set per visit?
- If climbing gyms were open with some restrictions due to COVID-19, how many times would you anticipate climbing at a climbing gym per week?
- If climbing gyms charged a COVID-19 premium on top of normal visit costs to ensure remaining open while keeping you safe, how much would you be willing to pay?
- When would it be most appropriate for a climbing gym to unfreeze all gym memberships?
- Please select all facilities you would feel comfortable using at a climbing gym when they reopen:
- Please select all options you believe are mandatory for contactless entry to a climbing gym:
- Do you feel partnering up bookings of single climbers for a climbing gym session, when climbing gyms reopen, is appropriate?
- Is a climbing gym's ability to properly ventilate the climbing gym important to you?
- Should climbing gyms provide mandatory training for staff regarding COVID-19 safety procedures?
- How often would you feel a climbing gym needs to clean if they reopen to climbers?
- Would you be willing to pay a premium to support setters with setting more frequently?
- Please select all options you would be willing to accept to prevent a climbing gym from imminent permanent closure.
Home Climbing Walls
- Do you own a home climbing wall?
- Did you build a home climbing wall as a response to COVID-19?
- How much did you spend to construct your home climbing wall?
- How often do you use your home climbing wall in an average week?
- How often do you anticipate using your home climbing wall in an average week if COVID-19 restrictions are lifted?
- Please select all the ways you acquired the climbing holds used for your home climbing wall.
- Are you likely to visit climbing gyms less because you have a home climbing wall?
- How much money are you likely to spend on upkeep for your home climbing wall?
Mobile Climbing Apps
Climbing Ecosystem and News
- Please select all the sources you use to access climbing related information:
- Would you pay more money for environmentally friendly climbing products?
- Would you pay more money for locally produced climbing products?
- Do you feel the permanent closing of local climbing related businesses would significantly impact you?
- Do you believe climbing industry supply chains will be significantly impacted by COVID-19?
- Do you believe the climbing industry will experience lasting negative impacts from COVID-19?
- How do you think COVID-19 will impact spending on advertising in the climbing industry?
- Do you believe climbing becoming popularized will improve demand for certified guides?
- Do you believe climbing becoming popularized will increase implementation of government oversight/ compliance standards?
- Have you ever travelled outside your province specifically for climbing?
- Have you ever traveled outside your country specifically for climbing?
- Do you believe demand for climbing sport tourism will increase after COVID-19 restrictions are lifted?